Monday, May 18, 2009

Signs, signs, everywhere signs.

The Tatiman knows sign language. I do not.

He is picking it up somewhere. Where, I don't know, because last I checked he spends every waking hour with me. I did attempt to teach him a few signs when he was around 6 months old, but I gave up after a few days when he wasn't signing and I kept forgetting to show him the signs. Then, about three weeks ago, out of nowhere he started doing those few signs I 'taught' him...and adding his own. It cracks me and DH up because the Tati is clearly trying to tell us something, the same thing, over and over again. Maybe, one day, we will figure it out.

This afternoon I was changing the Tati's post-nap diaper, and he gave me the sign for "more." "More" is usually reserved for mealtimes, when I cannot shovel the food into the Tatiman's face as fast as his highness would desire. We do not keep snacks on the changing table, and Tati knows this. So, I asked Tati "More what?" and he signed "more" again. I said "More kisses?" and gave him a smackeroo on the cheek. He smiled, and signed "more" again. I kissed him again. He giggled...and signed "more" again. Kiss. "More" Kiss *shriek of laughter* "More" Kiss....this went on for a good five minutes. And then, I got the "all done" sign...and with that the Tatiman was off to pull every book he owns off the shelf.

Could I be any luckier? My job is the best in the world. Now, off to study a baby signs book....

1 comment:

  1. What a brilliant story! I've taught my daughter some signs along the way as well...not ASL approved mind you but still effective communication. My favourite is her sign for Cheerios (O's)...I make the sign of an "O" with my hand while Little Miss clenches her fist tight and holds her breath and shakes a bit as well. So funny! Aren't they precious? Cheers...Karin

    ReplyDelete