Sunday, May 10, 2009

Happy Mother's Day!!

Today, I celebrated my first official Mother's Day. Last year at this time I was seven months pregnant, and had just stopped vomiting. My DH gave me a card last year, that brought me to tears, because it talked about all of the adventures we had ahead of us.

This year, I am living that adventure.

My Mother's Day started out like any other day. DH brought the Tatiman into bed for his morning nursing, and I snuggled in tight to catch a few more ZZZs. As I was drifting off to sleep, I started thinking about how lucky I am, to have this little person who came into my life and gave me the greatest gift--motherhood. I have been a whole lot of things in my life without the Tati-- a wife, a lawyer, a marathon runner, a world traveler--but he is the ONLY person who could make me a mom. Just as I was feeling so warm with that thought WHAM...pain like I had never felt. Yes, the Tatiman chose that tender and endearing moment to do the one thing I had been dreading since the appearance of two bottom teeth last week--he used those razor sharp new teeth to bite down, eliciting a pain like none before.

Such is the (true) life of a mother. Nobody in this world can bring me more joy (with his smiles, his belly laugh, or his daily accomplishments) or more pain (see above...or see any time his little eyes well up with tears, or he is sick) than my son. And, I wouldn't have it any other way.

So..to my Tatiman...Thank You* for making this first "official"** Mother's Day such a wonderful day. I look forward to a lifetime of adventures with you.

*By "You" I also mean to thank DH, who gave me the three things I wanted most on this day. (1) Sleeping in (2) A walk without a stroller in tow and (3) a certificate for a day at the spa.

** I know I am truly a mother because I feel that guilt that only a mother has. The truth is, I have celebrated Mother's Day for the past 6 years. Each year, I received a card from my beloved golden retriever, Du. After writing this whole post, and thinking all day about how Tati made me a mom...I now feel guilty--I don't want Du to feel like he didn't make me a mom. So--to Du--thank you for priming me for motherhood of a 2 legged son. And thank you for sharing in my stroller-free walk today.

1 comment: