Friday, April 22, 2011

Boring is as Boring Does.

It has come to my attention that there is a website devoted to mocking parents that post facebook statuses about life with their children. The idea is that people should tattle on their friends who “used to be fun” but now have babies, by sending in copies of the offensive facebook statuses. Really? I mean REALLY?

If these contributors lives are so exciting, I wonder how they can find the time in their wild and crazy daily schedules to contribute to a website that's sole purpose is to make fun of proud parents? Here's a thought: if you can't comprehend that a child changes your life in the most amazing ways, just ignore the people who can. It's really that simple.

Is my life a barrel of monkeys at every given second? Nope. Was it ever? Nope. But, if anything, having children has brought more excitement into my life. Sure, I can't spend every Thurs-Sat night at a bar with the same six people talking about the same six other people while I pace my drinking to get enough of a buzz, but avoid a hangover. That was fun for a few years. Then I graduated from college.

There is nothing boring about my life these days. Different? Absolutely. Boring? Never. Sometimes I wish it was! Having a child changes everything. And the most exciting part is that it keeps changing. My boys prevent me from becoming stagnant. They grow and change and develop new interests faster than the tides change.

As for me, my autonomous self, I still have many of the same interests I had before becoming a mom. I'm always finding different ways to incorporate them into my life. But having my boys (husband included) has also broadened my interests. I've met people I never would have met without spending a little extra time at the playground. I've been challenged in ways no career could challenge me.

Yep, I'm guilty of posting way too many tidbits about our daily life on facebook. It is one way I can stay connected to my friends and family. I'm sure I've said a few things that seem like I'm a little obsessed with my kids. I make no apologies because, well, I am. I think they are the coolest things ever.

While I'm logged in, I oohhh and ahhhh at pictures of friends' cats, because I know they find their antics simply charming. And I would never go as far as to suggest that posting repeated status updates about your daily commute, or your gourmet dinner menus, makes you boring. Live and let live, people. Live and let live.

5 comments:

  1. Love you and everything you do, bebe!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hear, hear! I do believe some are jealous that others went out and "got a life." =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. You write so well! I feel encouraged to go finish cleaning up toys now! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's all about HOW you post about things. Your posts are usually entertaining; you write them like a joke. It's the people who just post random complaints, they're the ones that stink out loud.

    ReplyDelete