Tuesday, April 12, 2011

This is where I draw the line.

The Tatiman has a Star Wars obsession. He sits for hours every day pouring over the six Star Wars books we checked out of the library. He can pick Star Wars books out of of his daddy's book shelves. He hasn't seen the movies (but for a few bits and pieces), yet he just knows, deep inside his being, that he is a Jedi in training. Well, he was a young Jedi until this past weekend...he announced that he wants to be Darth Maul when he grows up.

I found this development quite shocking, especially since the Tatiman lives in a world of rainbows and unicorns. He doesn't like bad guys. In fact, he finds the mere hint of a bad guy to be terrifying. Since he only knows about Mr. Maul from looking at pictures in books, he doesn't have any clue that the red and black face staring at him is that of a bad guy. Today he asked if we could “do a project to make a red and black Darth Maul face and a light saber with two red blades.” So, we did. I was sure that the sight of himself with a scary red and black mask would end his Darth Maul obsession. I was wrong.

But here is where I draw the line...along with declaring himself a young Darth Maul, the Tatiman would like me to respond to “Jango”...or when he is really trying to butter me up “Jango Mommy.” I refuse. I can only indulge him so far, and Jango is just a few small steps over the line for this mommy. I hope he never brings this up in therapy.

1 comment:

  1. Oh, Tatiman. Although it does make me think of this....

    http://www.noisebot.com/come_to_the_dark_side_we_have_cookies_t-shirt.htm

    Also, okay, I have watched The Princess and The Frog, which is super cute, and I totally cried when Ray went to join Evangeline, but those boom booms are SCARY, man.

    ReplyDelete