Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Cherish.

Tonight, I got to do something I haven't done in a long time—rocked my Finny Bo Binny Binny Boo Boo until he fell asleep. I soaked up every sweet, warm, snuggly breath of it.

Finny LOVES his sleep (I never thought I would utter that statement about this little guy!). He plays hard, and then sleeps even harder to recharge his batteries. I used to nurse him, then snuggle and sing him to sleep. Now, he wants nothing to do with me at bedtime. He is very serious about his routine: Pjs, a quick kiss, and then PUTMEINBED. He will practically jump out of my arms into his crib if I don't move fast enough. There are no bedtime stories. No sweet snuggles. No extra kisses on his chubby little hands. He is usually face down, buried into his blankie, and snoring before I even close his bedroom door.

But not tonight. Tonight, we did our routine, and he started sobbing when I walked out of the room. I listened for a few minutes, and he didn't stop crying, so I decided to go in to check on him. The Finny Bo looked up at me with his big blue eyes and just sighed...so I picked him up, and we snuggled in a rocking chair until his full weight was resting on my chest, and his long soft breaths were in tune with mine. Pure Bliss. I would have held him all night if I could have. I know these moments are fleeting, and I know that in no time, my sweet baby boy is going to be a quirky little toddler...and on and on and on.

But I will hold on to tonight, and the smell of his sweaty little head, and his pudgy little fingers, and the sound of his balmy little breaths forever.

1 comment:

  1. What a sweet post! I totally miss doing this with Parker and am looking forward to doing it with Peyton. I hope she's a snuggler!

    ReplyDelete